Won’t rest till families of all slain get justice in form of stern punishment those men involved in first genocide’
Srinagar, Jan 21: Chairman International Forum for Justice and Human Rights Muhammad Ahsan Untoo on Thursday while paying glorious tributes to the 53 unarmed civilians whom were killed on January 21, 1990 on there 31st anniversary and stated that the reply filed to his petition before the state human rights commission (SHRC) states that only 42 people were killed on that fateful day was nothing but a mockery.
Untoo in a statement said “That at least 52 civilians were killed by the government forces on January 21, 1990 and that he won’t rest till the families of every single person killed would get justice in the form of stern punishment to the guilty forces personnel, who resorted to indiscriminate firing by setting the base for the Kashmir’s “first major genocide”.
He said, “The chairman IFJHR, who has been pursuing the Gaw Kadal massacre case in SHRC since past many years, stated that the reply provided to him in October 2018 year by the police about the incident reads that only 42 people were killed on January 21, 1990 and just 172 got injured is far from the reality. He claimed in his statement that there are scores of eye-witnesses and there is no doubt that 53 unarmed protestors were killed and some 250 got injured.”
“A peaceful procession that had come from Chotta Bazar and passed through Habba Kadal and other areas reached Gow Kadal Bridge where men in uniform were ready to fire at the peaceful protestors leaving 53 dead and over 250 in a pool of blood.”
“The petitioner said he has been urging the SHRC to impress upon the authorities to come out with the detailed report on the slain and the number of those injured in the incident. He said that the issue is that it was the biggest irony that the government says that only 42 were killed of which only 42 were identified and rest remained unidentified.”
“This is the mockery of investigation and that its time that the administration should come up with the detailed report on the dead and those injured,” he said. He also said that a report must also come to fore that how many people were provided with the ex-gratia so far, he asked in his statement.